Graduation with Botany honours and Post-graduation in Botany from the University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India and PhD in Botany from the University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India.
Joined as lecturer in the Plant Tissue Culture Section Bose Institute in the year 1982, where she served as Senior Professor upto 2013 and then awarded with CSIR Emeritus Scientist scheme followed by UGC Emeritus Fellowship. She got FAO Fellowship and worked with Prof. Lawrence Bogorad at the Harvard University. She also worked with Prof Dennis Duties at Hungary Academy of Sciences and with Prof. Jaroslov Dolezol at Czeck Republic Academy of Sciences and also worked with Dr. C. R. Bhatia, at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay as Biotechnology National Associate. Task force member of DBT Bioinformatics, Computational Science and Systems Biology and at present one of the Task force members of the Theoretical and Computational Biology, Department of Biotechnology, New-Delhi, India.
Major Awards and honours:
· Received Young Scientists Medal by the Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
· Received Biotechnology National Associateship Award for the year 1989-1990.
· Elected member of the Plant Tissue Culture Association of India (PTCAI) 2004.
· Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad, 2005.
· Elected Fellow of the West-Bengal Academy of Science & Technology (WAST), 2014
· Received Prof. S. C. Dutta Memorial Award by the Botanical Society of India, 2015.
· Elected and delivered Prof. J C Sengupta Endowment Lecture in the year 2016 by the WAST.
· Elected for Prof. E. C. Stewart Memorial lecture (PTCAI).
· Convener, Plant Science Committee of WAST.
Editor of ‘The Nucleus’; Associate Editor and member of Editorial Board of several National and International journals.
Published more than 110 papers in referred journals. Received 17 Research grants from different funding agencies of India, Viz. DST, DBT and CSIR.
Served as PhD and post-doctoral guides for last 38 years.